Sunday, November 9, 2014

The MOTHERLAND with my mother... and sisters!!!

The day I had been waiting for was finally here and off to a rocky start. As stated in my earlier post, it took effort to get to Greece but when I finally made it, it was mood altering!  

My mom and sisters meet for in a state in the middle of nowhere (one of this unimportant states) before leaving the states for their flight to Greece.... and this is the picture they sent:  

When I walked through the arrivals door... I didn't see my sisters or mom anywhere... so I started walking out. I spotted my mom and sister Trina... and walked towards them smiling like an idiot... especially because they either didn't see me or didn't recognize me. Either way- I walked right up to them before they even noticed I was there. Once there... we all greeted each other, hugged, made complements, talked about our journey to get there... and headed out to the rental... 
Which was this sweet beauty:
(my sister Jen and the bread delivery mobile)

We quickly got on the road making our way to Mystras (our destination for the night).
We got in close to dinner time so we made our way into Sparti (Sparta), walked around the center and side streets until we found a little family owned restaurant... where we ate amazing Greek food! 

We called it a night fairly early- traveling for 20+ hours will do wonders to you and all they wanted to do was get a good night sleep for our big day tomorrow.

Sunday morning we woke up excited to head into Geraki and see family, the birthplace of my mom, and so much more... 
Mystras: 

Our hotel:
Hotel owner and her daughter with sisters: Jen and Missy and mom

Before leaving Mystras, we drove up to the castle

Heading into Sparti we stopped by this olive tree and took a few pictures
Mom and Jen:
We had to drive through Sparti to get to Geraki from Mystras. I took one turn too early (but wasn't too concerned because it too would lead us to the main road) and happened to come up to a square... one where we thought how ironic it would be if he stumbled upon my grandfathers statue... 
Believe it or not- my mom looked out the window... and said, "That is it... that is my fathers statue".
We couldn't believe that a wrong turn would lead is to a place we couldn't find last night (nor could Steve and I find it last year when we came). 
This statue was the reason behind my moms adoption. My grandfather was in Sparti doing work when his wife and he made the decision to adopt a Greek girl. It was then that they adopted a little girl (my aunt Georgia), found out she had a sister who would be able to go with her (my mother), heard my biological grandparents story (in the post from last year when Steve and I went to Geraki)  and adopted my mother as well. 
I was so excited to see the statue that started it all... 


From there we kept driving through Sparti- 

and into the hills...  stopped for goat crossing:
and into Geraki:
Nick (my moms cousin Georgia's husband) was waiting for us when we arrived... 
When we walked up the hill towards Nick and Georgia's house, my moms sister's godmother was outside on their balcony waiting for us. When she saw my mother, she could not help but feel overwhelmed with emotions. 
... and Georgia came running down to reunite with her cousin (my mother).
Until last year when Steve and I went to Geraki, her whole family, my family, did not know if my mom was alive, if she was ok, or where she was now. They could not believe I was the daughter of 'their' Mario and here we are, a little over a year later, once again in Geraki but this time I was with my mom and 3 sisters. 
We made it into Nick and Georgia's... and visited. Well the best you can with only Greek or American speaking individuals. Not both. One or the other. That is it! 
Thankfully a friend of the family, Angelina came by to save us... AKA translate for us.  
View from Georgia's balcony. We walked right past them while they stared at our reunion.
Going over a picture my mom brought with her- naming the family members and friends in the photo
We visited for a bit and then began our walk towards the house... Her house! We didn't make it far before my mom stopped... and recognized this house behind her. Angelina told her it was the house she was born in, that was the doctors house... 

Before going to her house, we stopped at Uncle Peter's house. Peter is 99 years old... and was my moms closest uncle.
Peter, (his daughter Katarina), and mom... 
This is Peter's live in nurse. She was there last time we can and remembered me. She is just the nicest person... 
Sometimes... love is all the language you need... 
They would talk, we would stare, they would laugh, and we would too. 
Obviously we were not from around there so when someone was outside, they would ask questions... This woman married a man from Geraki but is from Holland.  She runs the local art classes... 
So we peaked inside:

Cousins:
Katarina and mom
And we are finally there. 

I had always wanted to go back to Geraki with my mom... and here we were... together in Geraki... at her house. The place where she grew up. I wanted to experience this with her... be here when she came back... it was everything I wanted and so much more. So much more with my sisters here too. 

Inside: upstairs
We were told to take what we wanted from the house. 
My mom took home the box and I brought home the rug (hond made from my grandmother)
Missy checking out what the family bathroom was like...
Family, reunited!!
Georgia, Angelic-Koula, Mom, Katarina, and family friend Angelina
Mom could not believe what she was seeing... the rose bush was still there. She stood in awe as she looked at it remembering planting that very bush with her mom when she was younger. 




Angelica-Koula's husband... 
Selfie with Nick... still one of my most favorite people and I can't even communicate with him. There is just something about him that makes you want to be around him... that makes you feel comfortable. 
Family!
All of us together:
Angelica-Koula's son meeting mom... 
Katarina's husband (they live in Sparti) looking bored from all of this... I can't blame him though. 
me and Angelica-koula
Leaving the house... walking back to Nick and Georgia's

Julie's godmother saw us walking by and had to say hello one more time:



Church:
Jen: one of my favorite photo's of her this trip

Georgia prepared this amazing lunch for us... 
Seriously... there is not a better cuisine better than Greek food
Nick showing Jen how to shake grapes off the vine:

After lunch- we made our way to Peter's sister's Helena (my moms 97 year old aunt) and her daughter (Helena's) house:
Helena and my mom were close growing up. They were in the same school and remembers everything about the day my had to move. It was heartbreaking seeing her replay these memories while my mom couldn't remember that time in her life.  Like all traumatic events, this one was so severe for my mother that she blocked out that part of her. Now when she wishes she could remember these family members, remember the time they had together, remember the language, and so much more... she is at a loss. 
Either way... it was a beautiful reunion between cousins. One that they both thought would never be possible. 
Helena, Aunt Helena, and mom
Helena and her husband helping with the photos mom brought:


Saying goodbye... was the worst!



Nick took this photo of us before we left... All of us girls in Geraki... 
a day we will never forget!

No comments: