Saturday, November 8, 2014

On my way to Athens....

This morning was one I had been looking for and counting down to for months now. My mom and sisters were finally coming to visit but first we were all meeting in Greece to visit the village where my mom grew up and Athens.  My flight was at 7am out of Malaga and I went back and forth on the idea of driving down the night before and get a hotel room or wake up early to make the 2 1/2 hour drive in the middle of the night... I didn't want to miss another night with Steve or the kids so I decided I would go to bed early and wake up at 2:30am and get on the road by 3.
Not even a half an hour into the drive... 
I got into an accident going into a turn on a overpass in Puerto de Santa Maria I hit the breaks too hard/fast and immediately regretted my decision. With wet roads, the wheels locked up sending me sliding across the right lane road into the left guard rail, bounced off of it and spun across both lanes into the right side rail and around to hit a third time- on the right side.  I finally stopped the car and sat in the road to collect myself before I called Steve (he thought I was joking at first since I had just left the house 25 minutes prior to my call until he heard my voice).  
I managed to get the car off of the bridge/over pass onto a side street and sat there waiting for Steve to come pick me up. At first, I thought I would still be able to make it to Malaga and catch my flight until I got out and assessed the damages I had just inflicted on his baby... I totally wrecked his car and it is one of the worst feelings in the world. 
After about 10 minutes it was evident the radiator was broke, the hood was bent, back bumper on both sides dented and unlovable, all four lights broken, and that was just what I was able to see in the middle of the night. 
Steve came to get me... told me to leave him with his 4runner while I took my car to the airport so I wouldn't miss my flight. Of course that wasn't going to happen!!  As much as I wanted to, I wasn't going to leave him in the middle of Puerto without a way to get home at 3:30am. 
Instead, we rode back home, got on the phone, made changes to my flight.... without the help of any employee at Iberia (very disappointed with their customer service.  Can you believe she told me I should have called and made changes last night, even after I told her I JUST totaled my husbands car on my way TO the airport... then did absolutely nothing to help me make changes?), and had Steve take me to Sevilla to get a flight into Barcelona where I would make my connecting flight I already had. 
At this point, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to go anymore. As much as I wanted to see my sisters and mom, be with them for an experience like no other, I was in no mood to travel.... or do anything for that matter.







(This is what it looked like- AFTER Steve took the wheels, bumpers, and roof rack off) I am just so lucky the bumpers were there and they actually did their job... 









No comments: