Sunday, November 16, 2014

Africa

A complete last minute decision was made to 'skip' church and spend the day in AFRICA! I mean... how many times in your life will you have a chance to go to Africa for the day?! We got up before the sun Sunday morning and drove to Tarifa (south western part of Spain) to get on the ferry into Tangiers, Morocco

The sun was just beginning to rise when we pulled into Tarifa.
 We walked through a group (if that is even what you can call it) of cyclist going to Morocco for the weekend to ride some insane amount of miles... 

Once inside... we found ourselves a table, got a snack, and waited to arrive. 
 WE ARE IN AFRICA!!!
 We met up with Aziz... my trusty tour guide... and got right to sight seeing. We made our first stop at the largest Mosque in Tangiers.

 Aziz talking about the culture and different religious beliefs their city has



 Need a taxi anyone??
 From there we went around the 'California' part of Tangiers past the homes of the rich and famous, royalty and political officials. 
We then went down a street I had never been before... Its always nice knowing that each time I have visited... I am able to experience something different.
This house has a story behind it... but of course I waited too long to blog and can't remember what it was... fail!
 And ends at this: 
A view of Spain... I believe close to Barbate
 From there, we made our way to the tip of Tangiers... where the lighthouse is, and the view of the European coast on a nice clear day.


 Next up... drive back into the city... with a pit stop at the camels... 
 Missy... and her pictures... cracks me up!! 
Seriously I miss this crazy sister of mine!
 CAMEL TIME!
Before I go to Morocco with anyone... my only requirement is for them to ride a camel. I am not sure why but there is something fun and crazy about it that I can't get enough of... that and I love how awkward they are... and make people feel. That is always fun too. 
So... yes... my Momma is getting on a camel... and she is going to LIKE it!
 BAM... there she is!
 And we are off...   

   


 After camels... it was about time for something to eat... we were starving...
 We began making our way to the Kasba so Aziz could show my family his hotel and around the city.... walking down from the top.
On the drive back into the city we passed by 
Striking... not sure for what or why... 



and this typical little cafe... 
 Our taxi driver for the day... and Mis 
 We got off at a street below the Kasba and began walking up from there... 

 Entering the Kasba: 
Pictures of the Kasba and so much more...
Our first stop was to have tea and a snack at Aziz's hotel... 
Rooftop of the hotel:




Tea time:


We then made our way into the Kasba once again and below... 

Mosaic tile:


















A store I ALWAYS stop in... recognizes me and tries to make a deal with the fam... "for you... I give you a good deal" is their favorite thing to say... and they do come down on their prices quite a bit if you are firm.
LUNCH!!  This was probably the best places I have eaten here and so cheap. I am not sure I will ever want to go anywhere else to eat... 

After we ate, we walked the market a little and then headed back to the ferry to get back before it was too late... and they can pack for their early flight tomorrow. 








On the ferry... going back to Spain: 
Jen updating her blog on the way home (she did it the same day... It took me all of 7 months to post mine... hmmmm would've been nice to have completed this the same day). 

Today was amazing. We are so blessed with the opportunity to travel like we have, shared a little of our experiences with the family that has been fortunate to visit... and partake in cultures that differ from ours. 
This week with my mom and sisters has been amazing... and one I am so grateful for. I miss them so much and wish that we didn't live so far from one another (so they better think about their retirement plans being in Europe). 

No comments: