Friday, July 4, 2014

Driving back to Milan


Happy Forth of July to all... instead of enjoying BBQ's, parades, parties, and fireworks, we drove 9 hours from Prague to Milan so we were close to the airport for our 6am flight in the morning.  Like I said before, had I planned on not staying the extra few days AND knew that we would be better off starting and ending in Munich, we would have missed out on this truly amazing drive. 

 It is no secret that driving does not bother me. 
 Maybe that is because I typically am the driver. 
Maybe it is because my kids are fantastic travelers.
 Maybe I just like traveling roads I have never been nor more than likely not travel on again.  
Personally, I would like to think it is all of the above. 

 Today's drive was almost as beautiful as the drive from Milan to Zurich- a very close second.  We went through both the Austrian and Italian Alps, through tiny towns, past castles and numerous churches, waterfalls, snow, and so much more.  

We are in Germany once again....  

On the best highway in the world (that I know of...) there are sections without a speed limit.  I got a picture of Steve hitting 200kmp... and having to move into the slow lane so a car could pass him.  Im sure he would have been going faster if our car would have allowed...  
Italian castles were beautiful.  I wished we would have been able to stop at every little town we saw and walk around- they all looked so beautiful.  We took so many pictures but none did them any justice so here are just a few... 


As our trip is almost (pretty much) over, it was nice to see this part of the country we would have never seen before.  We made it back into Milan pretty late with enough time to grab dinner at the hotel restaurant and go to bed.  
Poor Aydin was sick the whole day so he chose to stay in the room and take a bath while we ate some of the best Italian food ever.... which was shocking to me considering where we were.  
Their homemade sauce was like nothing I have ever had before making their pastas and pizza's out of this world amazing!!  
Tomorrow we will be leaving Italy bright and early... 6am and going home to another amazing country.  Sometimes I wonder how we were ever lucky enough to have been stationed in Spain and feel beyond blessed for the opportunity we have had to travel like we have.  
I am not sure what I am going to do when we move back to the states without being able to hop on a flight that is affordable into another European country... I either need to get a great high paying job, win the lottery, or never move... all of which are highly unlikely considering my choice of profession with my masters degree does not pay enough to allow us to travel like we have been or even a fraction of it, I do not play the lottery because I have horrible luck with that sort of thing, and we do not get a say in whether we stay or go... thats the way the Navy goes. 
 Hmmm what am I going to do?! 

No comments: