Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Final day(s) in Amsterdam

Monday- We (I) only had one thing we HAD to still see before we left... visit the Anne Frank house. We made our way into the city... walked straight over to the house and of course found the line to be outrageously long... like 2+ hours long. We decided to rent bikes and do some more sight seeing, go to the brewery Steve was told to check out, and then wait in line later in the afternoon.
Bike rental shop:

We rode over to Vondel Park...
We were told it is 4 times larger than Central Park in NYC but what would I know... I have never been there!




The kids would have loved this park... there were so many trees they could be climbing!





We then rode to the other side of Amsterdam to the brewery... but passed the home of Heineken. Couldn't help but snap a picture as we rode by.

We didn't stop to take pictures while we were biking... so I just took pictures and rode... and prayed I wouldn't get hit or that some of the photos would come out.  We saw a group of photographers and camera crew walking down the stairs and I pulled out the camera.  It wasn't until I pulled up the pictures that I noticed that a crew member saw me taking pictures and waved... love it!


Made it... in one piece.  
We parked our bikes... went to the brewery for a tour and found out that not only was it closed for another 45 minutes... they were not doing tours on the week days.  We had 45 minutes to kill so we popped into the little cafe next door.
 I wish we would have stopped here prior to eating breakfast!! 
If you are ever in Amsterdam... you have to look up this fantastic place... and spend time there! 


The owners son... 
Steve swears they have the best gin and tonic ever!!  Gin, tonic and fresh cucumber. 
I had yet another amazing slice of apple pie... 
Must try them both if you are ever there!

This is the oldest windmill in Amsterdam- and is now a home to some lucky (or strange) person.
Inside the brewery:

Sampler!!
 Our ride:
 Riding back into town:
 FINALLY- We waited the hour in line to visit the ANNE FRANK HUIS and it was worth every minute! 
Cameras were not allowed inside so all I have is the picture of the door... and the memory! We were able to walk through their house, hear stories of what the family had to go through, their living situation, and how they passed their time. 
A truly incredible, saddening, and humbling experience.  One I would recommend everyone experience if ever in the city.

 Butterfly hanging out next to our bikes:

 As we were waiting to cross the street to return our bikes... we witnessed an accident... bus vs Mercedes... bus: 1- Mercedes: 0
This accident caused traffic to pile up, buses to stop running, and the whole city transit system to be off schedule for the rest of the day...
 Note to any tourist... don't rent a car... or try not to cut off a bus... you will never win!

Biking in Amsterdam is no joke.  If you make it out alive after riding on a bike throughout the city... you can make it through any biking experience!

 Stopped for an afternoon snack... and watched the traffic build up. We couldn't believe that people were still waiting on their bus to start up again... an hour after they had stopped... 

 We then walked down a street covered in graffiti... 
I seriously can't help myself... and took pictures of every building. 
This is only half:
  




 

We didn't do too much in the evening... grabbed dinner in Rembrandt Square, walked around a little more, people watched for the last time and headed back to pack for our checkout in the morning. 

Tuesday we didn't have a whole lot of time to do much other than check out, head into the city for brunch (ate at the same bakery we ate at the first day we arrived) and then headed to the airport.

On our way back to the metro to head to the airport, I captured my last photo... which sums un Amsterdam perfectly... if it is not harming anyone or themselves.... they simply don't care! 
In case you can't see it... that is a no bike parking sign with bikes parked in front. What I didn't get in the photo was the police officer talking with me as I was taking the picture... he just laughed. 

Have I mentioned... I love this place? Because I LOVE this place!!


 I could not believe how fast the time went and how I was not ready to leave.  I am in LOVE with Amsterdam and would go back in a heartbeat.  
Personally- I think it blows Paris out of the water!!  

No comments: