Sunday, July 10, 2011

Camping weekend...

Yes, you all read the title correctly... I went camping. This was not the sissy kind of camping either... I went to the middle of nowhere... (where there is not even cell service for 15 miles...), bathrooms are a few camp sites away, sleeping in tents, cooking over the open fire, and dirty for 4 days!! I must say... I have missed camping like this... the only way it could have been better is if Steve was with us... and we were camping at the beach like I used to when I was younger.
We got packed up and on the road Thursday afternoon, arriving at the camp site with plenty of time to set up, start a fire, and have Mike take Aydin and Morgan fishing before it was dark. I must say... meals camping were better than the meals I cook at home... sad to say but very true. The first night was freezing... Mom, Liam and I slept in the tent while Mike, Heather, Taylor, Aydin and Morgan slept in the pop up camper.

Our camp site... It was perfect!!

Liam officially started walking everywhere Thursday night... he did not want to crawl around the dirt so walking it was... and walking it is!! He even got his first scrapped knee Thursday night.

Liam, Mom, Taylor, Ella (Mike, Heather and Taylor's dog) and Ecko (our dog)He was SO dirty the whole weekend! He ate dirt by the fist full...
Friday morning came way too fast... and we were up early!!

After breakfast, Mike took the kids fishing while us ladies hung around the camp site. Heather, Taylor, Liam and I finally made our way to the lake and took a paddle boat ride to the mini store and ice cream shop...
Heather and LiamTaylor

Liam looking back on the paddle boat
Later the kids convinced mom and I to take them on the boats and get their ice cream while Heather stayed behind to watch after Liam. After dinner, I took the kids to the park to play for a bit before dark . They had a great time...

Morgan made me work too hard on the way there... so I convinced Aydin to ride home with me and help me paddle... Sorry Grandma :)
She didnt seem to mind...Uncle Mike and the kids playing in the lake...
Friday night was a long wet one... and sleeping in the tent... we heard and felt everything!! It started raining around midnight and went until the morning. When we finally got up and moving... we noticed puddles inside the tent, the outside of the air mattresses were wet, and all of our shoes and sweatshirts soaked. Good thing the rain stopped by morning so we were not trying to camp and play in the rain... we might have had to pack up and leave a day early.

Saturday was long and fun.... Mike once again took the kids right after breakfast to the lake to play while we got breakfast cleaned up and ourselves ready for the day. Once Liam woke up from his nap... we spent the rest of the day at the lake. In the afternoon, Heather, Morgan, Aydin, and I rented a paddle boat and kayak and went around the lake. We had a great time wandering around. Once we came back, the kids were at it again playing at the park, on the beach, and in the water. By dinner, we loaded up and headed back to camp where we ate steak and veggies... hung around... ate more smores... and enjoyed our last night in the woods.



He absolutely LOVED the swings...Morgan and Auntie Heather...By the fire... Taylor and Morganand Heather and Aydin...AND Mike and Liam...My pitiful marshmallow next to moms.... How in the world did here expand and mine did not??

It was a great camping trip... one I will probably never do again (at least for the next few years) but am happy we went. The kids had a blast... the dog had a blast... and I even had a great time!!

No comments: